The last time you entered your kitchen, which cuisine were you preparing? I am sure you were after one of your favorite meals! Well, do you know that although a kitchen is one of the most dynamic places in a house, it can harbor hidden toxins and pathogens that can be detrimental to your health? Most of the appliances used in one`s kitchen pose some health risks. If not cleaned properly, they can allow the development of bacterial diseases that might lead to death if not treated with urgency. Therefore if you think you are 100% safe in your kitchen, you are wrong, as you might be working with appliances that can turn out to be toxic, especially if you do not develop a habit of disinfecting their surfaces.
Working with non-toxic kitchen appliances is safe, however, at times the otherwise happens and some of the appliances as discussed below poses some healthy risks to users.
Oven and Drain Cleaners
Most drain cleaners contain sodium hydroxide, which is known to be corrosive, especially if it comes in contact with one`s skin or eyes. Most cleaners and dryers are sprayed. This aspect means that you can inhale some of these chemicals and damage your breathing system. Some dryers contain sodium dioxide, which is one of the most hazardous elements if ingested. Therefore, when dealing with some of these appliances, you need to be keen and use gloves to protect your hands. Ensure that your kitchen is well ventilated and avoid opening the areas where some of these chemicals are installed in the appliances.
Plastic Cutting Boards
Most cooks prefer using some of these cutting boards to slice various ingredients such as tomatoes and onions. This aspect is linked to the fact that washing them is relatively fast. However, when worn out, the appliances can be ragged from deep cutting and, in the long run, create web fissures that can harbor all sorts of bacteria that might lead to food poisoning. On top of that, worn-out plastic cutting boards can shed some plastic particles that can end up in food. Therefore as you use some of these appliances, you need to be careful as you can ingest a hazardous chemical that might affect your health in general.
Cooks across the globe prefer using gas stove tops as they are relatively fast, especially if well ventilated. However, suppose they are not placed in a well-ventilated room. In that case, the stoves tend to release some gasses that contain compounds such as nitrogen dioxide and formaldehyde or even carbon dioxide that worsens if inhaled. Most of these gasses are present in the environment. However, if inhaled in a non-ventilated room, they form chemicals within one`s body that prevent an efficient supply of oxygen. Such situations are deadly as they can cause hypoxia, one of the conditions that kill victims within minutes. Therefore as you use some of these gas stovetops, you need to be careful.
Most kitchen appliances are helpful as they ease the process of cooking food. However, it would be best if you were careful as you use some of these items as they can affect your health.