No wonder when it comes to studying abroad, among so many choices, the name of South Korea is always the most prominent one. That is all because of high-quality education standards and prestigious universities. Meanwhile, the two Korean universities are also leading in the top 100 of the World University Rankings list. Hence, South Korea proves to be the most popular destination for overseas students for higher education due to its highly competitive academic environment.
Moreover, the universities of South Korea, along with the Korean government, are also offering various fully-funded scholarship programs to deserving and eligible candidates who cannot afford their undergraduate or post-graduate studies. Talking about the scholarship offered by the Korean government is too many to count, like GKS, KAIST, KGSP, Soul university scholarships, Hanyang university scholarship, etc.
In this article, we will compare the two most famous scholarship programs offered by the Korean embassy.
- GKS (Global Korea Undergraduate Scholarship).
- KGSP (Korean Government Scholarship Programs).
Let’s discuss each of them from every aspect.
GKS (Global Korea Scholarship):
|Programs offered:||Undergrad, Postgrad, & Ph.D. levels.
|Bachelor’s Degree & Associate Degrees.
|1. It covers the airfare.
2. Provides relocation allowance of 200,000 KRW.
3. Tuition fee coverage up to KRW 5,000,000/ semester.
4. Living expenses of KRW 20,000/ monthly.
5. Medical insurance up to KRW 20,000 per month.
6. This scholarship grants a Korean language proficiency award to deserving candidates.
7. Grant of 240,000 KRW for research expenses.
8. Lastly, 500,000 KRW – 800,000 KRW for the printing of thesis.
|1. Free return air tickets.
2. 200,000 KRW as Settlement Allowance.
3. Full tuition fee coverage.
4. 900,000 KRW as Monthly Allowance
5. National Health Insurance of 60,000 KRW for the selected candidates.
6. Korean Language Proficiency Grants with one year free Korean Language training.
7. Admission fees waiver.
8. Degree Completion Grants.
|● The applicant and his parents must not belong to Korea.
● The applicant must not be a current citizen of Korea.
● The applicant has to be mentally and physically fit.
● Age Limit:
● CGPA requirement is 80%.
|● The applicant must belong to the listed countries for GKS.
● Must not have dual nationality.
● Must be physically and mentally stable.
● Age limit: below 25 years.
● The applicant must be a high school graduate.
● 80% GPA for GKS.
|Application process:||One can apply for this scholarship via a Korean University offering the mentioned scholarship.||There are two approaches to apply for the GKS;
● Embassy track.
● University track.
|Documents required:||● Highest degree obtained and its transcript.
● Recommendation letters.
● Statement of purpose (for masters and Ph.D.)
● A study plan (for MS).
● Research proposal (for Ph.D.)
● Motivational letter (for BS)
|● GKS application form and applicant agreement.
● Personal statement.
● Plan of Study.
● Letter of Recommendation (2).
● Personal medical assessment.
● High school graduation certificate and transcripts.
● Citizenship proof of an applicant and the parents.
● Other academic awards and certificates.
● TOPIK score certificate.
● English proficiency test certificate.
● Overseas Korean proof.
|Deadline:||Opening date: June 1st, 2021
Closing date: October 30th , 2021
|Opening date: September 22nd , 2021
Closing date: Ongoing.