Over the years, there’s been a growing demand for Nigerian students to study overseas, especially in countries like Malaysia, Canada, and the United States. With this comes an increasing demand for scholarship opportunities to study abroad. And, if you’re among the many Nigerian students looking for international scholarships, this article contains options you can choose from.
International Scholarships For Nigerian Students
Here are some of the international scholarships available for Nigerian students.
#1. Bristol University Think Big Scholarships.
Bristol University is investing £500,000 to attract the best and brightest international students to the university. Think Big Undergraduate and Postgraduate grants are available for programs beginning in 2023.
Any full-time Undergraduate program (excluding Medicine, Dentistry, and Veterinary Science) or any one-year, full-time Postgraduate programme or one of the University’s approved two-year programmes – Social Work (MSc) and Law (MA).
Scholarship awards for undergraduate international students range between £6,500 and £13,000 per year and can only be used to cover tuition.
Scholarships for postgraduate overseas students are worth £6,500, £13,000, and £26,000 per year and can only be used for tuition.
In addition, applicants may be eligible for a £3,000 living cost bursary during their first year of study.
You can apply for a Think Big Scholarship if you:
- Are classified as an international student for fee purposes AND
- Have applied to start any full-time Undergraduate programme at the University of Bristol in September 2023, excluding Medicine, Dentistry, and Veterinary Science, or any one-year, full-time Postgraduate programme or one of the eligible two-year programmes – Social Work (MSc) and Law (MA).
The International Scholarships online application form can be used to apply for the Think Big Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarship.
The application deadline for undergraduate scholarships is February 27, 2023. The application deadline for postgraduate scholarships is April 24, 2023.
#2. Chalmers IPOET International Student Scholarships
Chalmers will give approximately 35 IPOET scholarships to potential fee-paying students in 2023, supported by the Swedish Council for Higher Education.
- Tuition expenses reduce by 75% (4 semesters / 2-year program).
- Students who excel in their first year of study may be eligible for an increased scholarship reduction, which covers 85% of the tuition charge in their second and final years of study.
- The scholarship winners do not get any money.
• Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries who are required to pay tuition fees for Swedish university education are eligible.
• Master’s Program applicants in their first year can qualify.
The applicants are chosen based on their relative academic brilliance, which includes not only their weighted average grade but also the status of their home university (including a place on worldwide ranking lists) and the priority order of their application for Chalmers Master’s programs.
To apply, you must first submit an online application to at least one of Chalmers’ Master’s programs via the website universityadmissions.se by January 16, 2023. Each applicant is assigned an application number (from your Master’s program application at universityadmissions.se), which is necessary to complete the scholarship application.
The application process for scholarships provided by the Chalmers University of Technology is distinct. Scholarship applications are due on January 18, 2023.
#3. Ampère Excellence Scholarships for International Students
The Ampère Scholarships of Excellence provide outstanding overseas students the opportunity to pursue one of the approved Master’s programs at ENS de Lyon.
For one year, the scholarship is worth €1,000 per month. You can renew it in the second year if the Masters program director chooses you and validates your first year.
- Applicants must be foreign nationals born on or after January 1, 1997. (26 years maximum).
- Candidates for admission to the Masters Year must show proof of a Licence (equal to 180 ECTS European credits) or an equivalent diploma/level.
- Candidates for admission to Masters Year 2 must submit confirmation that they have completed Masters Year 1 (equal to 240 ECTS European credits) or an equivalent diploma/level.
To apply, you must fill out and submit the online application form, as well as upload supporting papers, by January 10, 2023.
#4. Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals
In the Autumn semester of 2023, the Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals (SISGP), a new scholarship program that replaces the Swedish Institute Study Scholarships (SISS), will give scholarships to a large number of master’s programs at Swedish universities.
The SI Scholarship for Global Professionals seeks to train future global leaders who will contribute to the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and to positive and sustainable development in their home nations and area.
The scholarship pays for full tuition, living expenses of SEK 11,000 per month, insurance, and a one-time travel award of SEK 11,000-15,000 (depending on the country) (only for scholarship holders living outside Sweden).
The scholarship is only available for full-time one-year or two-year master’s programs that begin in the autumn semester.
There are no additional grants available to family members. It also does not cover the University Admissions application fee.
• You must be a citizen of a nation that is eligible for SI scholarships to be eligible for SISGP. However, you must not be a resident of the country at the time of application.
• You must have at least 3,000 hours of documented job experience. Furthermore, you must have demonstrated leadership experience from your current or past employment, as well as through civic participation.
• You must be responsible for paying tuition fees to Swedish universities. In addition, you must have completed the University Admissions process, and have been admitted to one of the eligible master’s programs by March 30, 2023.
• The master’s programs for which you apply must be SI-eligible. Depending on your nation of citizenship, the institution prioritizes programs in specific subject areas.
Other requirements include dual citizenship, prior residence and studies in Sweden, and more. Read the full eligibility criteria on the official website.
To begin, apply for a master’s program by 16 January 2023 at the university’s website. After submitting your application for master’s programme(s), you will be assigned an eight-digit personal application number. You will need this number when applying for the SI Scholarship for Global Professionals.
You can apply for a SI scholarship after you have finished your application to a master’s program. From 10 February 00:01 to 28 February 2023 14:59 CET, you must submit the needed documentation digitally via the online application portal.
#5. University of Geneva Excellence Masters Fellowships
The University of Geneva’s Faculty of Science, in partnership with numerous sponsors, has launched an Excellence Fellowship Program to support outstanding and highly motivated candidates pursuing a Master of Science in any of the Faculty’s areas.
The scholarship is worth between CHF 10,000 and CHF 15,000 every year. It is granted for one year and is renewable for the regular duration of the chosen Master’s course (three or four semesters) if the candidate is academically successful at the end of the first semester.
This program is for you regardless of your home institution, whether you have passed or are currently pursuing a superb bachelor’s degree, and whether you are one of the best in your year! You must meet the admission standards of the Master of your choice and be chosen for an Excellence Fellowship based on your application file.
Each student must complete the enrollment procedure outlined on the Admissions Office website in order for their application to be considered. The application is available online beginning in January. After registering, you will receive an email with a personal link to complete the application form. The deadline for applications is March 15, 2023.
#6. Cambridge International Scholarships
The Cambridge International Scholarships will be offered by the University of Cambridge through the Cambridge Trusts to the highest-ranking international students pursuing Ph.D. studies at the University. The Vice-Chancellors Awards are also available to UK and Irish citizens.
The Cambridge International Scholarships International are for students who will be conducting research leading to a Ph.D. degree at the University of Cambridge in 2022 and who will be required to pay international university fees (the Vice Chancellors Scholarships are for UK and Irish nationals who are required to pay fees at the domestic rate).
The scholarships include the University Composition Fee as well as a living allowance for a single person.
All Ph.D. candidates from all disciplines are ranked by a University Committee. Academic qualifications, references, and research potential are the only variables considered in developing this list. The financial circumstances
of applicants have no bearing on the selection of scholarship winners.
All applicants should express their ‘wish to be considered for funding’ by completing the funding section of the online application form via the Applicant Portal. Applicants who wish to begin their PhDs in the following academic year must apply by either the 1 December 2022 or 5 January 2023 deadline, depending on the course.
It is critical to go to the official website to get the application form and further information on how to apply for this scholarship.
#7. University of Twente Scholarships (UTS)
University Twente Scholarships (UTS) are awards given to outstanding students from both EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA countries who are pursuing a graduate degree (MSc) at the University of Twente.
International students from both the EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA countries are welcome.
The scholarship amount ranges between € 3,000 and € 22,000 for one year. In the case of a two-year study program, students who complete the UTS process requirements can get an additional UTS in the amount of the first year.
To be eligible for a UTS, candidates must meet all of the following requirements:
• Applying for a UT scholarship is a separate process from applying for a course at the University of Twente. Regardless of funding, you must first obtain an admission letter.
• You have been admitted (provisionally) to one of the qualified UT Master programs beginning in the academic year 2023/2024. (September). Please keep in mind that it may take up to 8 weeks to receive your results after submitting your application.
• You must have a student identification number.
• You meet the requirements for obtaining an admission visa in the Netherlands. That is, if it’s applicable; and
• You have not completed a UT graduate program
• You meet the general English language exam requirement. Academic IELTS 6.5 (or TOEFL iBT 90) and an additional 6.0 (TOEFL iBT 20) on the speaking skills subscore
• You are not eligible for a Dutch study loan
The University Twente Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship. Typically, this signifies that you are among the top 5 to 10% of your class.
You must first apply for a Master’s program. You can apply for the scholarship using your student number after applying for a Master’s programme and receiving a (conditional) admission letter. Round 1 applications, which open on 15 October 2022, have a deadline of 1 February 2023, while Round 2 applications, which open on 1 February 2023, have a deadline of 1 May 2023.
This article aims to provide options for Nigerian students who are looking for international scholarships. And we hope that you found what you’re looking for. Study each option carefully, and if you need any more clarifications, you can always refer to their websites.
- How To Get Scholarship In Canada For International Students
- Nipissing University Scholarships For International Students
- International Students Can Work and Study in Canada, 2023
- Kingswood University Scholarships For International Students
- Undergraduate Scholarship in Canada for Nigerian Students