Probiotics are living bacteria that may be found in a variety of meals and dietary supplements.. They are known as ‘Good Bacteria” as they are very beneficial for our overall health. These microorganisms resemble the ones that are already present in our bodies. Trillions of bacteria are present in our large intestine and help in boosting immunity and digestion among other things. High-quality probiotics are important- especially for women as they help combat fatigue, boost immunity, and reduces cortisol levels. With so many advantages, it’s best to go for the best female probiotic to remain healthy.
What are Probiotics?
Probiotics are live microorganisms, mostly bacteria, and yeast that benefit the human body when taken in the right amount. Although probiotics are present throughout the body, they are more prevalent in the digestive tract. Besides supplying the essential nutrients, they also inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. Sometimes people suffer from various digestive problems due to the side-effects of chronic diseases or because of improper diet. Probiotic supplements prove useful in such conditions and provide the required nutrients.
Probiotics are known to aid in the repopulation of beneficial bacteria in the body and play a vital part in the immune system’s correct functioning, digestion, and hormonal function in women. whether you want to maintain a clear complexion, boost your immunity or give your cycle a boost, there is a specific probiotic supplement to take care of all your needs. Certain things should be kept in mind while looking for a probiotic as a supplement.
What things should be kept in mind while choosing the best probiotic?
- As mentioned earlier, probiotics contain a specific amount of live microorganisms that are good for health. On the package, this information should be stated. It is essential to know the level of live bacteria in a supplement before you buy it. Also, make sure to look at the “use by” date on the bottle.
- It is equally important to choose the specific supplement that is required for your particular health goal or any health issue you want to overcome. For example, the probiotic supplement useful for digestion is completely different from the one that is used for vaginal health. So, buy the product that is specifically prepared for your requirement.
- The amount of colony-forming units(CFU’s) vary according to the specific bacteria and the health condition you want to target. More amount of bacteria may not always be useful, so it is advisable to consult your doctor before buying the supplement. You will be able to achieve the best results this way.
- You should look for the specific strain of bacteria present in the supplement, rather than going after a specific brand name. For this, it is better if you do a little research about the strain of bacteria that is best for your condition.
How are Probiotics good for women?
- Digestive health – Probiotics are known to improve the digestive mechanism
- Vaginal Health – Studies have shown that taking probiotics that contain L. Rhamnosus and L. Acidophilus reduces the risk of vaginal infections in females.
- Weight Management – Regular intake of probiotic supplements helps in shedding excess fat, making you look and feel fit and healthy. These are also known to prevent the accumulation of belly fat.
- Hot Flushes – Some women suffer from hot flushes during menopause. Probiotic supplements are effective during hormonal changes that women generally undergo during this period.
- Prevents Bloating – Probiotic supplements prevent unwanted water retention in the body that may result in bloating.
- Sound Sleep – Regular intake of probiotics reduces unnecessary stress and helps you sleep like a baby.
- Boosts Energy Levels – Women going through menopause or post-menopause generally feel fatigued and need some additional supplements. Probiotics help them maintain their energy levels
- Enhances Cognitive functions – A combination of herbal ingredients and good bacteria along with a good nights’ sleep bring mental clarity and boosts the functioning of the brain.
- Strengthens nails and Hair – Women love their hair and nails and some probiotic supplements are good for hair growth and prevent brittle nails.
- Heart Health – Probiotic supplements keep your heart healthy by regulating cholesterol levels.
Although probiotic supplements do not cure ant disease for sure they are beneficial for your overall health and help you maintain your energy levels throughout the day.
If you are still wondering whether to add a probiotic supplement to your daily schedule, these frequently asked questions may clear your doubts and help you come to a decision.
- Should all females take probiotic supplements?
All females don’t need to take these supplements but if you want to address some specific health condition, you may opt for it with the consultation of your physician.
- How long should supplements be taken?
Probiotic supplements can be taken regularly for maintaining good health. You can incorporate them into your daily schedule for as long as you like.
- How long does it take for a probiotic to work?
It takes around three to four weeks to see some visible effects.
- Should probiotics be taken in the morning or evening?
It is generally recommended that supplements should be taken on an empty stomach in the morning just before the meal or at least half an hour before any meal.
- Do all probiotic supplements require refrigeration?
Most of the probiotics require refrigeration as it keeps the bacteria viable and improves the overall efficacy of the supplement. But with more research and newer probiotic strains, some supplements are available in the market that does not need to be refrigerated. They can be easily stashed in your handbag while you are on the go.
Summary: As is true for any supplement, you should consult your doctor before incorporating any kind of supplement into your daily schedule. This is especially important for people who are already on medication for some specific issue or those who have any underlying health issues. The best probiotic supplement for women may not be useful for you, so take advice from a medical practitioner so that you take the right supplement.