The legal framework for the registration of building and plumbing practitioners in Victoria as well as the regulation of building constructions, building standards, and maintaining specific safety features were set by the Building Act 1993. Hence, if you carry out my building construction or plumbing work in Victoria, you must make sure it is in accordance with the Building Act, the Building Regulations 2018, and the Plumbing Regulations 2018. This Regulation incorporates the National construction code and relevant Australian Standards to prescribe suitable standards. Do you want to be a licensed builder in Victoria? Or maybe you have a building that requires some construction or plumbing work to be done on it, then before you get started, you need to fully understand the VBA Building regulations.
What is VBA?
VBA is the Victorian Building Authority that regulates plumbing and building practitioners in other to ensure efficient and competitive building and plumbing enterprises in Victoria. They inform the building and plumbing practitioners as well as the community about all building and plumbing-related legislation and current standards to offer guidance in building and plumbing practice.
Services offered by VBA include:
- Responding to various enquires about building and plumbing industries
- Licensing, and registering building and plumbing practitioners in Victoria
- Disciplining building and plumbing practitioners
- Issuing owner-builder certificate of consent
- Carrying out inspections, investigations, and audits on building and plumbing industries to enforce compliance with legislation
- Collection of building permit levies, etc.
VBA Building Regulations
The Building regulation is auxiliary legislation of the Building act and it contains the necessary requirements related to:
- Building permits
- Occupancy permits
- Building inspections
- Certificate of content
- Building maintenance
The regulations follow the Building code of Australia (BCA), which is also a part of the National construction code. Victoria’s Building Regulations undergoes an extensive review every 10uears to ensure it remains suitable for its purpose and objectives.
Becoming a Registered Builder in Victoria
There are 3 main steps you need to complete the VBA’s registration process in other to become a builder in Victoria;
- Fill the VBA application form for the builder practitioner class you wish to register for.
- Fill and complete the registration form
- Fill and complete the technical referee report
- You will be required to undertake a computer-based examination at VBA.
- The examination is made up of 53 multiple choice questions
- The examination will test your reading skills, your knowledge of the National construction codes, Australian standards for building and construction as well as your knowledge in Acts and Regulations.
- You will now undertake a VBA builders licence interview with a VBA assessor.
- The interview will last up to 2 or 3 hours
- Your knowledge and experience on buildings will be tested here.
Type of Building Practitioners
There are 7 types of building practitioners and each has different requirements when registering with VBA. Below are the types of building practitioners you can apply for:
- Building Inspector
- Building Surveyor
- Quantity Surveyor
- Erector or Supervisor
- Project Manager
- Builder (Commercial, Domestic or Demolisher)